Tuesday 22 March 2011

Etsy Euroweek 2011 - A shop from France

  
I plan to promote European shops on Etsy all week. There are 50 countries in Europe, lets see if i can promote at least 1 shop from each country

 
I was born in North Carolina in the US and grew up in an old southern 'mansion' , a household that included 7 females of three generations.. and no men! In this old house where we were my grandmother, (born in the house in 1875...she's the little girl in our shop http://www.etsy.com/shop/Vintagefrenchlinens?ref=seller_info photo), and her sister, my mother and her sister and myself and my two sisters, life centered around the garden, the kitchen and the sewing room. Everyone sewed, embroidered, crocheted, knitted...and cooked.

From earliest childhood I loved fabrics..and the 'needle arts' in general.
Living in France in my 60s, now many years later, I still love beautiful textiles and making things. But when I married my Irish husband 5 years ago, and we moved to rural France to live in an old farmhouse, I found that I needed more to fill my time. I fell on the idea of buying and selling the beautiful old linen sheets, table linens and nightdresses that were traditionally part of every French bride's' trousseau' for many decades. Happily lots of these fine linens were carefully stored and have survived in remarkably good condition. While the supply is definitely limited, and the prices are steadily going up, there are still enough things available that we have, after nearly 4 years, developed a thriving business, having sold to customers in 23 different countries all over the world.
We have 'expanded' to include some vintage and antique 'decorative' items in our shop, (originally it was on that 'other' market site---you know the one!), and now here on Etsy, which, may I say, has been a real 'breathe of fresh air' for us. In less than 6 months, we feel so 'welcomed' here,...and our sales have way surpassed our expectations. We really appreciate the support for sellers and the feeling of community that Etsy provides.

To support our business, beginning in spring and throughout the summer, we spend 2 or 3 weekends a month, and occasionally a week or two at a stretch, traveling around France in our caravan following the brocante and antique fairs that are held in every corner of the country. It really is splendid fun, a sort of a giant treasure hunt seeking out 'new' old linens and charming things for our shop. We've seen parts of this beautiful country we probably would not have visited, and we have met so many delightful people. And don't get me started on the eating adventures we've had!

We look forward to at least 3 or 4 more years of continuing our business, until we can follow through with our plan to move further south to 'retirement' in a slightly warmer clime nearer the sea...but for now we are enjoying being 'Etsians' bringing beautiful French linens and antiques to our customers.

Nan and Dermot Bolger
FRENCH VINTAGE LINENS AND ANTIQUES

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quick View of Woolly Goodies available on my web site

Quick View of Woolly Goodies available on my web site
Click on photo above to see detail / to purchase